Monday 9 May 2016

LO4: Drafts of Magazine

CONTENTS
This is the first draft of the contents page for my magazine, entitled SWITCH. Note that (i) there are three photos which are yet to be added (I haven't take those photos of Josh Shirt yet), (ii) the picture of me will be changed, and (iii) the top right picture of Josh will also be changed since I didn't take it. Below are screenshots of the process I went through to produce this draft contents page.

First of all I opened an InDesign document with the dimensions set to those of a contents page (see post "LO3: Setting up InDesign" for how I did this). I then started using the Rectangle Frame Tool to place frames for where my images would go - I pastiched my copy of DJ Mag to help me.

This shows me continuing to add frames to the page.

I then placed my two edited images of Matthew Milan to the page, in the spaces I wanted them to go, by clicking on the frames and using File --> Place.

This shows the contents page starting to come together. I used the Rectangle Tool to create the dark blue strip underneath the "contents" text - I chose it's colour from the "colour" tab on the right. I then placed the text onto it by using the Type Tool on the right, changing the font to "MUSICNET" and colouring it yellow by again using the "colour" tab. I decided to colour the background blue originally, and I did this in the same way. You can also see the headings in the contents such as "features" and "tech" - these were created using the Rectangle Tool and Type Tool, as described above.

Here, you can see me adding text (the titles of the articles) to the rectangles I had created under the headings. I used the "Krungthep" font, size 18, for these.

This shows me continuing to add the titles of articles under headings.

I decided that the previous colour scheme didn't look quite right, so I made the background colour for the "contents" text and all the headings a deep purple. I also made the page background colour a lighter blue. I did all this using the "colour" tab on the right.

This shows me adding a page number to one of my images. I simply used the Type Tool to create a text frame of the right size, before typing the page number in the font "Krungthep", size 25.

Here, you can see the headings with complete information beneath them. All of this was done using the the Type Tool. Also, I decided to change the background of the page to plain white - it made everything easier to read and nicer to look at.

This is my final draft contents page seen in InDesign. There are three frames that need filling, and I will be changing the current images of me in the centre and Josh in the top right (I didn't take them). I added these as examples of what the final page might look like.



Here is an improved version of my contents page, based on feedback for my original. I have added pictures which I hadn't taken for the original, added a date and issue number, changed some of the font to "Arial Narrow" and added my signature to the editorial.

Above is the final contents page. The only thing that has been changed from the previous draft is a page number here and there. I also corrected a mistake in the editorial - I replaced "going in the world of clubs" to "going on in the world of clubs".

FRONT COVER
Below are three early versions of covers that I had to pick from for my final design. I decided to pick the first one for my final cover, but obviously it was edited some more for that.



Below is the first draft for my magazine cover.


This is the feedback I got for the first draft of my cover.

This is an improved version of my cover, based on feedback from my teacher. I made the cover lines black and white, to reduce the amount of the glaring colour, added more detail to some of them, increased the size of the main cover image and added the fact that the main feature is an interview. This is the final version of my cover for the magazine.

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD PART ONE
This is a first draft of the first two pages for my double page spread article, entitled "Beaming".

Based on teacher feedback, I decided to make further improvements. The first thing I did was change the image to one that was in-focus, as the image seen above in the first draft is slightly out-of-focus. You can see how I edited the new image for use in the double page spread in my "Edited Graphics and Photos" post.

 First, I decided to wrap the text around the new photograph using the "wrap around object shape" tool, to add style and interest to the page.

 This shows the result of the text wrapping, as I highlight all of the text and make it the correct size to fill the right-hand page.

 Here, I am refining the edge of the cut-out of Josh and the laser beams so that it the edge looks as natural as possible. The screenshot shows me adjusting the Threshold and Tolerance controls.

And finally, you can see me adjusting the colour and text size of words in my pull quote. This gives the reader a taste for the article and hopefully makes them want to read all of it.

This is the final version of part one of my double page spread. The alterations I have made from the previous version are: adding the masthead and page numbers at the bottom, adding a drop cap at the start of the text, and changing the look of the pull quote.

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD PART TWO
This is my double page spread article, blank - ready to begin writing on.

This is the first draft of my double page spread article.

This is the final version of part two of my double page spread. I added some lasers to the background of the article, as well as a slug at the top, page numbers at the bottom and the masthead next to them. I also added a slight drop shadow to the images.

TITLE PAGE
This is my title page for the article about Liam Boarder. Below is how I made it.

First, I inserted the edited image of Matthew Milan into an InDesign document, and made it the right size for a page of my magazine.

 I then added some white introduction text to the page, which is present on all title pages.

This is the final version of my title page. Page numbers and the masthead next to them have been added. I also placed a drop cap at the start of the text, and placed the title of the article "Getting Set" at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment