Monday 4 April 2016

LO1: Preliminary Task for a College Magazine


This is a college magazine which I am going to pastiche, since it uses common conventions such as:
-a medium close-up main cover image, with a direct gaze
-only two colours
-cover lines
-a masthead


This was a flat plan for a college magazine that I produced using Pages (word processor). It was important to do this because:
-It gave me practice and experience using the magazine cover conventions for when I come to make my real magazine.
-I will be able to look back on it in the future and see what I have learned and how I have improved my skills.


This is a screenshot of a dialog box on Photoshop - it shows the preset that we will use for creating a magazine cover. The width of 21cm and the height of 29.5cm are used because they are the standard dimensions for a magazine cover. In addition, the resolution of 300 ppi (pixels per inch) is used because it is high-quality and this is needed for a magazine cover. It would be no good if the resolution was only suitable for an internet image, for example.


This is the front cover of a college magazine that I made in Photoshop. It is an adaptation of the early version that I made using Pages. As you can see, the two main colours that I used for my magazine cover were yellow and blue, following cover convention of only using 2 or 3 colours. Below are the steps that I took to make it:


Here, I was adding and editing the text of my masthead, "UTC Uncovered". I was colouring it using the three shades of blue of the UTC logo. The red text in the image was still to be coloured correctly.


Here, I had just finished using the quick selection tool in Photoshop (as seen in the picture above) to crop out the brick wall behind Matthew. This allowed me to change the background colour for my magazine cover.


Here, you can see me changing the background colour of the cover from white to the grey that I wanted it to be. This could only be done thanks to the use of the quick selection tool, as seen above.


Finally, after I had changed the background colour of the cover, I added a shape using the Shape tool. This tool can be seen on the toolbar on the right, two buttons underneath the 'T' icon, and I used it to add the striking-looking star that the "FREE!" text is inside. Also, inside the dialogue box to the right of the cover, I am changing the colour of the "FREE!" text to yellow. This is because it complements the other colour on my cover, blue.

EVALUATION
During this introduction to magazines and while I have been making my own practice college magazine, I have learned about:
-"double page spreads" - these are single pieces of content which are spread over two pages. I will need to create two of these to go in my final Unit 14 magazine.
-the conventions of professional magazine covers, such as cover lines, mastheads and the use of only 2 or 3 colours.
-how to use multiple features of Photoshop, such as adding text, changing colours, adding shapes and adding effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment